Sump Pump Basics
Sump pumps can help stop your basement from flooding. They move water from the lowest level of your home to the outside of your home. When your pump detects the presence of water in your basement, it switches on and starts pumping the water out of your home.
Sump pumps will:
- Protect against sewage backups
- Keep flood water out of the basement
- Prevent lower level floods from rainwater
- Avoid mold
- Reduce basement humidity levels
- Maintain or improve indoor air quality
Types of sump pumps:
- Pedestal: Separate motor and pump
- Submersible: Combined motor and pump unit
- Battery-operated backup: A backup sump pump that can be used if a power outage keeps your main sump pump from working.
- Water-powered backup: A backup sump pump that runs on water, not batteries